Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Part Three with BillieAnn Sexton - In the Arena

With more experience in the rodeo pen than women twice her age, BillieAnn Sexton has figured out how to win in some of the toughest setups the IPRA has to offer. She has run everywhere from Marietta, Ga., to St. Tite, Quebec, and she has done a lot more than just barrel race. The cowgirl knows her way around the roping pen and can catch a calf in breakaway as well. 

In the Rodeo Pen

What type of alleyway/entrance do you prefer?

I like a narrow alley way that is centered with the third barrel but any alley way were the third barrel is in sight for line up is fine.


What are you thinking running towards the first barrel?

I try to keep my mind clear and feel what I need to do at the moment, make a good run.


What are you thinking running home?

It kinda depends on the run I feel like I made. Good run I am thinking those good, sweet thoughts. Run with a few mistakes, I am anxious to hear my time. If I hit barrel I am thinking about what I should had done differently. 


How do you approach a barrel (e.g. big pocket, straight, etc.)?

I learned to make my "spot" about 4 feet over to the side of the barrel, enough room to where my horse can shape and snap back around the barrel quickly. 


What do you worry about most while rodeoing (e.g. the ground, the weather, the arena size, the competition, etc. etc.?)

I try not to worry about that to much. I do have a few barrel horses so some do better in different arena conditions then others. If I know the size of the pattern and whether its hard or deep ground I will pick and choose the horse to take.


What type of shoes do you have on your rodeo horses?

Sassy, Dora, and Barracuda I have rims on the front and regular on the back. I put the rims on them for traction. Brownie I have 2 degree wedges on his front because he does not grow much heel.


What type of ground do you prefer?

Depends on the horse, this year I have mainly taken Sassy and Barracuda, Sassy loves hard trashy ground and Barracuda works the best in deep ground.


What size of pen do you prefer?

The pen size doesn't matter to me either it will just pick the horse I want to run at that rodeo. 


Do you like to run in slack or the performance, and why?

Performance, I like the crowd, the loud music, bright lights, just the whole excitement in the atmosphere. 


Why did you decide to run the IPRA?

Its a wonderful association and its a great place to season myself before I turn 18 and start Pro rodeoing.


Why do you run rodeos instead of barrel races?

I use to go to a lot of big super shows and also rodeos, but I now mainly go to rodeos because I like traveling from rodeo to rodeo instead of being at one place all week. The rodeo's are a lot more exciting, but I do also enjoy going to barrel races.


What type of horse do you think makes the best rodeo horse?

A rodeo horse has to be very seasoned and can handle all types of ground. Rodeo ground is not always good. I like horses that are bred run and cow so they have the mind, but also have enough run to win.


What is your favorite IPRA rodeo?

St. Tite, Quebec, Canada.


What is your horse's cue to turn a barrel (i.e. lift, leg pressure, check, etc.)?

When I get to my "spot" I sit down grab for the saddle horse with outside hand, lift my horse with inside rein and bump with inside leg witch picks there rib cage up and shapes them.


What is your most common mistake?

Wanting to sit down and go for saddle horn before my "spot." Instead of drive, drive, drive all the way to my spot then sit down, lift, and shape.

No comments:

Post a Comment